Sunday 18 February 2018

Super Whoopers

I managed two patch visits this weekend. On Saturday, I only had an hour, so went to check out a field in Besthorpe that I had a quick look at last weekend, and which had held lots of birds. There were still good numbers of Chaffinches there (maybe as many as 150), plus a few Linnet and Reed Bunting, around 5 Lesser Redpoll, 2 Mistle Thrush, as well as Greenfinch and Coal Tit (the latter two new for Patchwork Challenge). I was hoping for a Brambling really... And Mark Dawson had a redhead Smew at Collingham, so perhaps I should've gone there! 

And needless to say, for the second time this year, a Sunday check of Ferry Lane Lake for a Saturday Smew failed to produce the goods. However, there were 21 Whoopers on the pit, with another 5 flying in a bit later (and all 26 flying off west just before 11). I do love these birds - they bring a real feel of wildness to the patch. Elsewhere on site, the usual four Curlew were on the Silt Lagoon, a Jay was new for PWC, and I booted a Jack Snipe out of their favoured spot at Meering, bringing the PWC additions for the weekend to four. A further 6 Whoopers were (still) on the fields to the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment