Sunday 29 October 2017

Getting in on the action

With all these Hawfinches being seen all over the place, there has clearly never been a better time to find one away from their usual haunts. However, until this weekend I've had little opportunity to try and find one at Collingham. I spent a couple of hours vis-migging yesterday morning without any joy, and had another try this morning. Things weren't looking promising, but I was spurred on by birds being seen elsewhere in Notts... And then, just after 9am, success! A Hawfinch flew north, giving a thin 'seep' call. Excellent!

Yesterday, the highlight of my vis-migging had been 3 Brambling going west, whilst today 13 Whooper Swans went south-east. Aside from those, generally small numbers of Lesser Redpoll, Siskin, Redwing, Fieldfare and Wood Pigeon accounted for the vast majority of what was moving. More notable yesterday was my second patch Cattle Egret of the year, which came up out of Wharf Pit just after 8am and flew north-west, before returning a bit later. I could do with a Great White Egret if I'm honest!


Cattle Egret
Cattle Egret
Cattle Egret

1 comment: