Sunday 5 March 2017

The end of February and the beginning of March

Over the last couple of weeks I've not managed much birding, for various reasons. My last patch visit of February was on the 21st, when I bagged 6 Eurasian White-fronted Geese on Smithy Marsh, viewed from Meering. The following weekend I was in London (Ring-necked Parakeets), and this weekend I did manage a bit of birding, despite having my parents to stay. A work visit to King's Mill Reservoir allowed me to jam in on 13 Waxwings which briefly showed up near the Mill Adventure Base, dropping down to feed on rosehips before being disturbed (by some people filling up bird feeders, oblivious to their presence) and flying East.

I popped into Collingham on the way home on Friday, getting my first Pintail of the year, with a pair on Mons Pool. I couldn't get out yesterday, which was a shame as Mark Dawson had a littoralis Rock Pipit, of which there was no sign today, but 2 Green Sands were new for the year; in addition, 2 redhead Smew remained on Ferry Lane Lake, and the long-staying Black-wit remained on Mons Pool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment