Sunday 15 January 2017

More gulls

A late start on Tuesday allowed me to have a quick loook at Cotham Landfill. There was no sign of the Glaucous Gull (which also failed to come into roost later in the day at Hoveringham), so I had to make do with a 1st W Caspian Gull - one of the two seen on the 6th.






Yesterday, despite it being a Saturday, I decided to give the tip another go. There were a decent number of gulls present when I arrived, but about half got up and left within the first five minutes. Scanning the remainder I picked out Tuesday's Casp again, before a guy in a hi-vis jacket flushed the rest of the gulls. I tracked them down to a tick group in a ploughed field to the east of the landfill, locating the Casp once more. I then had a brief, head-only view of a gull with a nice pink and black-tipped bill, which was prompltly obscured in the group. After 40 minutes of staring at the same spot, it eventually walked across a gap, confirming it was indeed a juv Glaucous Gull - too brief for a photo.

1 comment: