Saturday 31 December 2016

Xmas birding

For the first time in a long while, I didn't spend Christmas back in Suffolk, meaning I missed out on one of the birding highlights of my year - a Christmas Eve hike along the Stour and Orwell. However, a trip back for my grandma's 103rd birthday on the 27th allowed me to snatch two brief trips out, bagging a Great Northern Diver and 3 Slav Grebes at Holbrook Creek and a Common Scoter on the Strand. Back in Newark, a Chiffchaff in a neighbours garden on Boxing Day was the best I could muster!

Today was a last day of patching for 2016. I had planned to go out yesterday as well, but as the fog didn't lift all day I power-washed the patio instead... Not expecting to add anything to my total (but remainign vigilant in the hope of a Merlin), I did some light reccy'ing for tomorrow, with a redhead Smew on Ferry Lane Lake best - hopefully it will stick!

No comments:

Post a Comment