Tuesday 30 August 2016

Lets have a chat

After a week away in the Netherlands, it was time to get back onto the patch. Unfortunately, by the time I managed to get to Collingham yesterday the Osprey that had been seen earlier had departed, via Langford Lowfields. Added to the Little Stint which was present whilst I was away, this amounted to two missed species for Patchwork Challenge...



However, better was to come today. I went out with two species in mind. I failed to find a Redstart, despite much scrub-bashing, but a Whinchat was present at Meering, in the rough grassland around the Eon Lagoon, favoured by this species in previous years. This is one of my favourite things about patching - knowing what to look for, when, and where. 



Shortly after the Whinchat, my first Tree Sparrows of the year appeared, with two birds flying west. I then headed for Ferry Lane Lake for a late lunch, where I came across a juvenile Black Tern, which rounded off a decent day on the patch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment