Saturday 12 March 2016

Quality early Spring birding

With some leave to use up, I had yesterday afternoon off work, and after running an errand in town, headed to Collingham. What was a steady visit came good at the end; I'd been thinking about Kittiwakes, and was had been checking the few gulls that were around. As I was heading off later afternoon, I noted a group of small gulls dropping into Ferry Lane Lake. I had a quick scan, and bingo, there was a Kittiwake - very nice too! The group didn't seem to settle, taking flight several times, before eventually the whole loot flew off east. My first patch Kittiwake in four years of patching. Added to this was my first Grey Wagtail of the year as I was watching the Kittiwake, and then a flock of 95 Whooper Swans which flew over heading north. 

Kittiwake
Kittiwake

Today, and I too Sorrel Lyall and her grandparents looking for Woodlarks on Budby Heath. After a worryingly quiet start, we eventually pinned down a singing male, and then had another displaying overhead, which was joined by its mate. We also tracked down the Black Oil Beetles (see here). On to Welbeck, and we had decent views of a male Goshawk flapping around from the Raptor Watchpoint, and then a Red Kite, plus a pair of Mandarins back at the feeder layby. So not a bad morning at all. 

Black Oil Beetle

It was back to Collingham for the afternoon, where a Great Northern Diver was on Ferry Lane Lake (no doubt the Girton bird), but no sign of the Smew; my third patch yeartick in 24 hours, putting me on 99 for the year... A singing Chiffchaff at Mons Pool was my first of the year, and put a smile on my face. 

1 comment:

  1. Great day's spotting by the look of things. If I had been off work today, suspect I would have found some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete