Friday 5 February 2016

Friday fun

A flexi-friday meant a day's birding around Newark; I spent a good 3 hours at Cotham Landfill this morning, before eventually getting too cold, but not before having bagged the juv Glaucous Gull and 2 Caspian Gulls - an adult and a 1st winter. The latter was recognisable by 2 missing feathers from the middle of the primaries. 2 adult Lesser Black-backs were the only other gulls of note.

Juv Glauc
1st W Caspo

On to Collingham, where I bagged two patch yearticks; first the Little Owl, back in its usual willow after a long period of absence, and better still, a Red Kite drifting west as I pulled up at Mons Pool, which headed over the Trent and onwards. This was a species which I didn't manage to get at Collingham last year, so nice to get this one under the belt early on in 2016. 
Little Owl
Red Kite - a bit distant by the time I was ready to take its picture...

No comments:

Post a Comment