Saturday 16 January 2016

White-fronts on the patch

I had been intending to go and do some voluntary conservation work this morning at East Leake, but after an incident leaving Newark where my car first got side-swiped, and then had its wing mirror smashed off whilst I was getting the details of the first driver, I changed my plans; after gaffer-taping my wing mirror back onto my car, I went to Cotham Landfill, where I saw... no gulls. Mark Dawson and Tom Malarkey had got there earlier, and had seen the juv Glauc, and a probable 2W Casper. 

Cutting my losses, I headed to Collingham, bagging 4 Goosander and 7 Siskin as new for year species. The Silt Lagoon was wader-central, with 10 Curlew, 12 Redshank and a Green Sand. Onwards to Meering, where there wasn't much, but after a third scan of the Greylag flock on Smithy Marsh from Meering I noticed a Pink-footed Goose. I decided to get a closer look, venturing off-patch, and in doing so, came across a party of 7 Eurasian White-fronts - 2 adults and 5 juvs - and a second Pink-foot. I back-tracked to the raised bank at Meering so I could get the White-fronts on my patch list! Very nice. 

4 of the 7 White-fronts



No comments:

Post a Comment