Wednesday 20 January 2016

A bit of all white

When news emerged last night of a 'probable' 2nd winter Thayer's Gull at Cotham Landfill, I decided that a visit there was necessary this morning; I'd been planning a mid-week visit anyway, so it seemed like a sensible thing to do, even when the (dare I say it) less than convincing photos emerged - although in their defence, one thing I've learnt is not to write-off birds on the basis of poor photos.

A 'few hours before work' turned into me taking the whole morning off (thank you flexi leave), which proved to be a good decision; despite the initially awful light conditions (looking straight into a low sun), several of us down there enjoyed juvenile Glaucous Gull, juvenile Iceland Gull, and multiple Caspian Gulls - my personal tally was one adult, a 3rd winter and two 2nd winters. A single adult Lesser Black-backed Gull and a Grey Wag were additions to my yearlist. 


Juv Iceland Gull
3W Caspian Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment