Tuesday 3 November 2015

No atlantis tonight

I knocked off work a bit early today in order to go look for the Azorean YLG at Kilvington, seen again yesterday. There were a handful of big gulls on the West Lake when I arrived, including an adult YLG, but not the bird in question. There were more big gulls on the East Lake, where I stayed until it was almost dark (the light was pretty bad even by 4.15pm due to the murky conditions). 

More and more gulls dropped in, and there must've been getting on for 800 Lesser Black-backs and Herrings as I left, with birds still dropping in. No atlantis, but a couple more YLGs, and a couple of LBBGs and HGs with neat hoods restricted to their heads. Returning to my car, I was a bit perplexed to see c.400 more big gulls on the West Lake, but by now it was way too dark to check them, so the target gull could have been present...

Aside from gulls, a Short-eared Owl appeared at dusk over the rough grassland west of the disused railway line (a Notts yeartick for me), a redhead Goosander was on the East Lake, and there were 4 Red-crested Pochard (2m, 2f) on West Lake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment