Sunday 18 October 2015

Back to the patch, and a bit of twitching

After a fortnight's birding on Unst (of which, more in another post), I managed my first patch visit in 26 days on Friday. It was uneventful, bar a fly-over Brambling which was my first patch bird of the year (and a species I failed to get last year), putting me on 136 species for the year at Collingham, one more than 2014 and equal with 2013. I had another brief trip out to the patch this evening to check out the gull roost; the large gulls were dominated by Lesser Black-backs, of which there were around 380, but there were also 3 adult Yellow-legs, and 10 Herrings. Pochard numbers were also up markedly since Friday (when there was just one), with a notable 65.

Back to yesterday, and I decided to treat myself to a trip to Norfolk, with lots of good stuff on offer in the Wells/Holkham area, including a tick. Unfortunately, I seemed to spend the whole day about half an hour behind the birds, and ran out of time to clean up. Beginning at Holkam, I missed the Isabeline Shrike by 10 minutes on my way to the Red-flanked Bluetail, which showed for all of 30 seconds before vanishing (and then not showing for the next 40 minutes). On my way back to Lady Anne's Drive, I had another failed bid for the Izzy Shrike, which was then seen later in the morning after I'd gone to Wells. 


Awful Bluetail pic #1
Awful Bluetail pic #2
Awful Bluetail pic #3

At Wells, I spend a fair while standing around not seeing (or even having a sniff of) the Blyth's Reed Warbler (arriving 15 minutes after it was last seen), before heading off to see the Hume's Warblers. There was a complete melee where they were, and after hearing one of the birds call several times, and lots (and lots) of people chasing off in pursuit, I'd had enough, despite having not seen anything more than the silhouette of a bird flicking through the canopy. And no Pallas's Warbler either, but I did locate one of the Great White Egrets on the fresh marsh.


GWE

After another half an hour waiting, unsuccessfully, for the second Bluetail to show at the drinking pool, I went for another crack at the Blyth's Reed, as this was the bird I really wanted to see. This time I actually heard the bird call, frustratingly just 5 metres away on the other side of some bramble, having been glimpsed by a few others. More waiting without luck followed, and I had to go back to the car to extend my parking (now up to £13, yes THIRTEEN pounds, into the Holkham Estate coffers). One last try, and this time a shout went up that the bird was pinned down, about 100 yards away from its last location. Rushing round, it was in a small, isolated patch of bramble, popping up several times into the open. Success! 


Blyth's Reed, almost showing well...
Blyth's Reed
So, a slightly frustrating day, but at least I saw the BRW - good to tick this one off after three dips in Shetland recently...

No comments:

Post a Comment