Saturday 19 September 2015

...Spoonbill?

A work visit to Budby Heath yesterday produced a nice Red Kite, only my second in Notts this year, plus a few fly-over Siskin and Lesser Redpoll - but no hoped-for Crossbills. In the evening, a thrash of the patch produced 2 eclipse drake Pintail on Mons Pool (one with an orange ring on its right leg, but no metal ring), a total of 11 Curlew, and a 2CY Yellow-legged Gull amongst 652 Lesser Black-backed Gulls; I was surprised to see this number of Lesser Black-backs as on my previous evening visit on 13th there were none whatsoever. 

This morning, and a good few hours working Collingham yielded my third patch Spotted Fly of the year, this time a nice showy individual on Carlton Ferry Lane adjacent to the Silt Lagoon. Other bits and pieces included 4 Curlew and single Greenshank, Common Sand and Pintail on the Silt Lagoon, 4 Green Sands and a Hobby at Mons Pool, and 459 Coot, almost all on Ferry Lane Lake, where there was an adult Yellow-legged Gull in with 40-odd Lesser Black-backs.



Whilst at Mons Pool, I checked the sightings book (which I'm afraid to say I rarely fill in), and was a bit perplexed to see news of an immature Spoonbill "in flight and appearing to land at Mons Pool" back on Saturday 12th. I don't remember seeing this reported...

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete