Monday 25 May 2015

Lady Yay

It's been hard going on the patch of late; I finally added Garden Warbler (they always seem a bit late into Collingham), but waders have been in very short supply - just a few Dunlin, Ringo's and the odd Common Sand; no Sanderling or anything else of note (although I did at least add the latter for my Notts yearlist with one at Holme Pierrepont). However, the Turtle Doves are back, which is (of course) very nice, with at least 3 territories across Collingham and Besthorpe.

So I thought I'd treat myself to a third try for the Lady Amherst's Pheasant down in Bedfordshire today... I arrived just before 6am, with the bird calling loudly from the main woodland area. It then moved off, and it became apparent it had moved across to the lower wood. So I settled in for the wait; it called frequently at first, and then more intermittently. It was difficult staying focussed on the small patch of grass visible on the ridge between the two woods, which I was expecting it to walk across, especially when having to look through chainlink fencing. And then, at bang on midday, it wandered across - Lady A in the bag! And it only took me 20 hours in the field, plus another 9 hours driving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment