Sunday 19 April 2015

A weekend of dipping and yearticking

I finished the week on Friday with another visit to Kilvington Lakes, seeing both Ring Ouzels (a female had joined the male, found earlier in the day), as well as a Greenshank, and at least 21 Yellow Wags - but no unusual taxa amongst them though.

Yesterday, I had a second attempt for Lady Amherst's Pheasant at Lidlington in Beds. And for a second time, I came away empty handed, despite spending 8 hours on site. The bird didn't call nearly as much as last time, and most frustratingly, revealed itself (for about 5 seconds) to some others present; unfortunately I had gambled (wrongly) and was viewing the wrong area at that time. Can I be bothered to give it a third go? Is life too short? After that, I did some proper birding on the patch; the Knot was again present on Mons Pool, whilst Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat were new in since Wednesday. 

Today I managed two patch visits, and added four patch and county yearticks - Marsh Harrier (a sub-adult male through south this morning), Arctic Tern (2 on Ferry Lane Lake this afternoon, found by Mark Dawson), and single Cuckoo and Swift. In addition, the Knot was still on Mons Pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment