Sunday 15 March 2015

Spring comes, then goes

Friday morning and I was down to Collingham for my first patch birding for a while; it was almost warm out of the wind, and the birds had a distinct spring taste to them - my first Sand Martins (4) were over the western side of Ferry Lane Lake, a Chiffchaff sang briefly from the patch of woodland next to the Parish Field, and a pair of Ringed Plovers on Mons Pool looked like they had already got a nest scrape. The Oystercatchers had increased to four, and other stuff included 5 Redshank, 2 Curlew, 2 Egyptian Geese and 4 Goosander

Saturday and most of Sunday were spent back in Suffolk, battling a bitter cold wind, with no migrants to be had; best were a couple of Woodlark at a site in the Sandlings. I wrapped Sunday up at Hawton Works Grassland, in another attempt for Short-eared Owl (with one reported in that area earlier in the week); there was no sign, but two Barn Owls put on a good display. 

1 comment:

  1. Literally, I think those owls here me approaching from miles away. The Hawton Works has barely had a birrd in it last couple of times I've been around

    ReplyDelete