Friday 20 February 2015

Some time off

What a treat; Thursday and Friday off from work, if only I could do that every week... So yesterday we went for a nice walk around Abney in the Peak District, via a pub for lunch. It was a bit wet but the scenery was lovely, even in mid February. Avian highlights were 2 Dippers in Abney Clough and a Raven, but no Red Grouse on the moors unfortunately (although a couple of piles of fresh droppings proved they were in the area). What really amazed me though was a garden near our pub stop, which must have had at least 40 (and probably more) Blue Tits coming to feeders and in adjacent scrub - I've never seen that many in one place before! I do like it when even commonplace birds can still surprise you.

Today I decided to do some work on my Notts yearlist, which I have been neglecting. I didn't get off to a good start though, as after two hours at Gonalston I still hadn't managed to see the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Deciding I couldn't afford to spend any more time there, I headed to Sherwood, spending some time at Welbeck Raptor Watchpoint (or rather, the parking area a bit east of the watchpoint), bagging a rather distant Goshawk, plus 6 MandarinsI then scoured Clumber Park for a Brambling. I eventually located a large flock of Chaffinches and Redwing, amongst which was a single Brambling; success (thanks to Jason Reece for the tip-off).

After lunch I decided to go to the patch rather than head north to Lound. The 2 Bewick's Swans were still in residence with 14 Whoopers next to Trent Lane at Besthorpe, with another 4 Whoopers north-east of Meering. A quick look at Besthorpe Warren produced 2 Woodcock and a Little Owl, the latter the first I've seen at this site, whilst Collingham produced 5 Redshank and a Green Sand, and a Barn Owl hunting next to Ferry Lane Lake

So, just two additions for my Notts yearlist, putting me on 114. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker is starting to worry me, after 5 failed attempts to see one... and nine other listers have managed to see one!

No comments:

Post a Comment