Tuesday 30 December 2014

Penultimate patching

Yesterday I paid my second visit of the year to Cotham Landfill. Whilst there were plenty of gulls present, I couldn't find any Glaucs or Icelands, nor indeed any Yellow-legs or Caspo's. However, it didn't help that lots of the gulls were loafing in fields to the south of Cotham Flash, and couldn't be easily checked. 

Gulls
And more gulls

Today, I made what will be my penultimate visit of the year to the patch. Highlights were 2 Whooper Swans on the Silt Lagoon (which then relocated to the field south of Meering) along with 2 Curlew and a Redshank; there were also 3 Tree Sparrows in the western hedge here, and a Merlin flew through heading south. Ferry Lane Lake produced a Green Sand and a pair of Stonechats along the western shore - hopefully the latter will stick into the new year!


Crunchy snow crystals

A check of Meering again failed to produce any Siskin in the alders there; it looks like this is going to be my big patch dip of the year. Onwards to Besthorpe Warren, were there was pretty much nowt, although the conifers there have now been completely felled; bad news for Crossbills. but maybe some Woodlark habitat...?


Besthorpe Warren

I finished up with a quick check of Spalford Pit and North Pit at Girton; the former held a pair of Shelduck, the latter an injured Common Gull with a badly bust wing. Unfortunately I couldn't catch it...

1 comment:

  1. There was easily 500-600 gulls South of the flash, silhouetted against the low sun

    ReplyDelete