Monday 1 September 2014

Patch tick GWE

Having missed my patch's first Great White Egret about thre weeks ago when I was in Madeira, I was pleased to get a text from Steve Dunn today about a GWE (presumably the same one) having just been reported at Mons Pool by RBA. He got it for his Notts yearlist fairly swiftly, gripping me off with some nice pictures. Fortunately it lingered until this evening, still at Mons Pool, twice being chased by a Grey Heron before flying off at 1845, and appearing to go to roost on Heron Island. It appeared to be an adult, with the vestiges of its breeding plumes visible.







Aside from the GWE, the site hosted 1 Ruff, 1 Greenshank, 7 Curlew, 2 Common Sands and a Green Sand. However, things were not helped by some shooters on the river, taking pot shots at overflying geese (getting two) and ducks (missing three) and causing lots of disturbance. I spoke to one of them and he was actually a nice chap and we shared some common ground; but I hope they don't make this a regular thing. On the passerine front, a few Meadow Pipits flew over, as did a couple of flurries of Swallows, with groups of 50 and 70 heading S/SE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment