Tuesday 22 July 2014

Turtle Dove madness

The mid-summer doldrums continue on the patch, with single Common and Green Sands and just 6 Lesser Black-backs (1 juv) present tonight. So I decided to go looking for Turtle Doves. One was in its usual spot at Mons Pool, so I headed round to the Works, where I'd had one earlier in the summer and assumed that the second bird I occasionally hear at Mons would be. 

So I was pleased to find one as soon as I got to the Works, sat up purring on one of the structures. I was then surprised when a second started purring nearby, and then completely amazed when a third started purring. Even if one was the Mons bird (which is more than possible), then that still means three singing birds on site tonight, which is one more than usual. I wonder if unpaired male(s) from the surrounding area (e.g Girton, which I've been meaning to go back and check) might be attracted to Collingham in the hope of some action..?

2 comments:

  1. Nothing at Langford when I visited the other day. Luckily lots of beautiful damsels and dragons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently there has been one TD at Langford, but appeared late this year.

    ReplyDelete