Thursday 17 July 2014

Fantastic frits

Monday allowed me to bag a Notts butterfly tick in the form of Silver-washed Fritillary; I was in the vicinity of Gamston Wood (near Retford) for work, and took an early lunch break for a quick wonder round in search of this species, which I found in the central north-south ride - and not just one, but at least 3 and probably 4. There's something special about fritillaries, and I enjoyed these little beauties enormously; unfortunately the only one I could get any half-decent shots of had damaged (or malformed) wings! Some Broad-leaved helleborines were an added bonus.




Up to today (Thursday) I've also had two quick trips to Collingham Pits. The first Wigeon of autumn are back (2 so far), with single Green and Common Sands present on Tuesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment