Tuesday 20 May 2014

Terrific Terek

My flexi-hours took a bit of a hit today, as I left work early and bombed over to Covenham Res in Lincs for the Terek Sandpiper. This is a bird that's been high up on my most wanted list for a while now, but somehow there's never been one in striking distance. But obviously that changed today! It was a little stunner, showing off its mustard yellow legs, black braces and upturned bill, although it didn't really come very close whilst I was present - as a result my photos aren't a patch on many of the others out there... 





It was being kept company by an alpina Dunlin, with Sanderling, Redshank and Common Sand also present as singletons; the latter clearly didn't like the Terek, which it chased on several occasions (despite being smaller), and also stood sideways on and raised its wing a couple of times in what I assume was a territorial display. 



An Osprey off to the north when I arrived was a bonus; I also had a Red Kite on the journey over. On the journey back I swung by Collingham (obviously); the Ruff seen earlier was nowhere to be seen, but I did have one new for year species (more on that later), and the first family of Shelducks of the year with 5 ducklings on Mons Pool. Even since yesterday evening, the water levels here were up slightly, concealing the best wader habitat once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment