Monday 5 May 2014

Redstarts and Red Foxes

Yesterday was my first Redstart survey of 2014 in Sherwood Forest NNR; I located 9 singing males, a decent number but slightly disappointing as I didn't find many at all in the western section of the site, which has normally been their stronghold. However, whether it was the fact that it was later in the morning by the time I arrived in this area, or the birds here had already paired up and stopped singing, I don't know. Hopefully some further surveys will clarify. Other stuff included 8 singing Tree Pipits, 2-3 singing Cuckoos, and a few other bits and pieces including a Tawny Owl which I flushed out of some bracken. 



Later in the day, the patch beckoned. I didn't find masses, but scoped good numbers of Swifts and a Hobby off to the south over Langford, and found a female Fox with no fewer than 11 cubs; however these appeared to be from two separate families, as there were 7 larger ginger cubs and 4 small brown ones. They were great to watch playing!



No comments:

Post a Comment