Monday 31 March 2014

First quarter report

With an extra hour of light tonight, I was allowed a quick visit to the patch after the weekly Morrisons shop, hoping I might be able to add 2 more species to bring me up to 100 on the patch for the year... maybe a Swallow, or a Wheatear, or a Willow Warbler? 

But no, none of the above. An alba Wagtail on Mons Pool was my first of the year, but unfortunately that doesn't count. And the Spoonbill which apparently flew north along the Trent from Cromwell at half 6 doesn't count either, as I didn't see it (and it certainly hadn't dropped into either Mons Pool or the Silt Lagoon).

The Ibis was still present (I know, yawn), although for the first time I (along with John Ellis) saw it fly off to roost at 1820, watching it dive down into Mons Pool (which is the logical place for it to go). 

So I finish the first quarter of the year on 98 species and 115 points - 10 species up on this time last year, although interestingly (or perhaps not so interestingly), I haven't seen six species this year that I had last (Tree Sparrow, Brambling, Siskin, Med Gull, Bewick's Swan and Grey Plover). 

So we'll see what April brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment