Sunday 23 February 2014

A sign of spring

Yesterday I saw my first bumblebees of spring whilst at Cotham Landfill, and then found a Peacock back in Newark, which I moved into the sun so it could warm up. Today felt much less spring-like again, but an Oystercatcher at Collingham Pits on the Silt Lagoon was an early harbinger of things to come; soon there will be Ringed Plovers turning up, and then the first LRPs!

Other birds at Collingham today included a mini-influx of Pintail, with 13 present (11 on Ferry Lane Lake and 2 on Mons Pool), 9 Shelduck and 2 Little Egrets, but not much else of note. I also belatedly did my WeBS count at Girton (my New Year's resolution to actually do my count on the correct day not lasting long...), with another 4 Oystercatchers there, but low wildfowl numbers again.

1 comment:

  1. There was a peacock on the doorstep of the office supply shop on Kirkgate yesterday! Bumblebee crossed my path by a farm near Cotham today, some midges about too

    ReplyDelete