Friday 24 January 2014

More friday Gulls

Cotham Landfill beckoned this afternoon; with 3 Glaucs reported there on tuesday, and no less than 4 Icelands in the Hoveringham roost on monday, I was hoping for a white-wing fest! However, it didn't quite work out like this. Despite lots of gulls and good viewing conditions, the only white-winger was an adult Glauc that Mike Warren picked out shortly after I arrived (he'd already been there the best part of an hour). No Icelands though. 

I spent a lot of time grilling the Herrings, seeing some interesting birds; a very dark 2nd W, a dark velvety 1st W, an adult (or near adult) with small amounts of black in its tail... but all were seen too briefly and key features were not visible. Another interesting another near adult had a juv Glauc bill pattern, which looked pretty weird. Both me and Mike also had probable adult Caspian's, but again all too briefly. My bird certainly looked good, but I lost it before I was 100% happy. Several pale-tipped 1st W Herrings were present too birds. Always interesting...




No comments:

Post a Comment