Saturday 21 December 2013

More gulls

In the cold light of (to)day, I think it's fair to say I got ahead of myself yesterday. The gull I thought might be a Kumlien's clearly had issues; it was too big, and lacked the round headed, big-eyed, stubby-billed impression of an Iceland. But what was it? I got some interesting feedback via twitter, along the lines of faded/leucistic Herring, an 'intergrade', or a hybrid. Dan Watson sent me a useful link to the hybrid gulls section on Steve Arlow's website (which I sometimes look at), and it does look rather like a couple of these. It also looks like the tertials and wing coverts on my bird are too well patterned for a Kumlien's, but I didn't check this out properly in the field, and they're difficult to make out from my pics.

Every day's a school day when it comes to gulls, and I'm not afraid to admit that I struggle with them sometimes (or a lot of the time)! So I went back for another couple of hours of self-punishment today. Unlike yesterday, I couldn't find either the Glauc or the Iceland, and there was no sign of yesterday's problem gull either. However, I did briefly see the other gull mentioned in yesterday's blog - a more obvious, pale Herring-type with washed-out wing tips and a brutish head; it was big too, GBBG sized. Unfortunately I failed to get any in-focus pics of it. Some of the gulls were loafing on the field north of the restored landfill, where there was an adult Lesser Black-back - a scarce bird at Cotham at this time of year and the first in four visits. Aside from gulls, 2 Ravens kronked over as I arrived on site, the first I've seen in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment