Sunday 13 October 2013

Back to normality

This time last week I was wandering around St Mary's on Scilly in my t-shirt (I've come back with a tan) - more on that in another post. Today was a complete contrast back on the patch - wet and windy, and not exactly warm. After a week of rarity hunting and bush bashing, it was necessary to refocus; I was hoping for maybe a diver or a merganser, or perhaps a straggling seabird if I was really lucky. 

None of the above were seen; best was an adult Yellow-legged Gull on Ferry Lane Lake, where there were single Redshank and 2 Dunlin. The Silt Lagoon held one each of Green and Common Sand, whilst at Mons Pool the rain was so heavy, and my optics so fogged, that I could only just about make out some duck (there were clearly a lot more Wigeon around than my last visit).

At Meering, there was no sign of the Pec Sand (which was still being reported a few days ago), but I did have 2 Snipe and my first 5 Fieldfares of the autumn flying west; small parties of Redwing had also been in evidence during the morning, along with plenty of Skylark (although none of these seemed to be heading in any particular direction). Off to the north, towards Smithy Marsh, at least 1100 Goldies were feeding in the young winter wheat.

Finally, a quick look at Girton didn't produce much of note (and annoyingly I'd forgotten it was WeBS weekend so will have to visit again next week...), but another 32 Fieldfare flew north-west over Spalford Pit, and there was a tightly packed flotilla of 75 Cormorants on the A1133 Pit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment