Sunday 5 May 2013

First Grizzled Skippers of 2013

The problem with this time of year is that there is too much to go and look for; and with the first Grizzled Skipper sighting of the year in Notts at the end of last week, the skipper-seeking season has begun already. So this afternoon I made a speculative visit to Staunton Quarry and was reward with four Grizzled Skippers. Pleasingly, three of these were in two of the scallops cut into the scrub as part of the ongoing SITA funded project for this species - more details on the Notts BAGs website

Grizzled Skipper at Staunton Quarry

My first Comma of the year was nice, but better still were a pair of Marsh Tits; these were rather unexpected, as I have been hoping for Willow Tit here. They were plucking cherry blossoms although I'm not clear if they were eating part of the flower itself  or insect that they contained. Nearby, there were at least 2 (possibly 3) more Grizzled Skippers on the disused railway line near Cotham, which Carl C put me onto, and I had my first two Speckled Woods of the year here.

Another Grizzled Skipper

Earlier in the day, Girton Pits produced the second Marsh Harrier in as many visits, plus several Garden Warblers (they must be in on my patch by now...), but no Willow Tits - I spent quite a while in the area where one was singing strongly last week, but no joy. There were, however, lots of Orange-tips around and good numbers of Peacocks.

Peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment