Sunday 7 April 2013

A dodgy duck

Another early (well, early for me) start at Collingham Pits produced my first site Chiffchaff of the year singing intermittently along Northcroft Lane, but not a huge amount else. I then walked round Girton Pits, which produced a few bits and pieces; including 6 singing Chiffchaffs, a Willow Tit (not singing, but good to know they're still here), and a pair of Whooper Swans on the Sailing Lake. 

Pair of Whoopers at Girton Pits
I also came across an Aythya hybrid, which looked a lot like a regular Tuftie but had a dark grey mantle (with a suggestion of vermiculations visible in the photos I took), a stubby crest, and a green hue to the head. Presumably a Tufted Duck x Scaup..?

Presumed Tufted Duck x Scaup at Girton Pits
This afternoon, a bike ride north out of Newark yielded singing Chiffchaffs at Winthorpe, Holme and next to the works at Langford Lowfields.

No comments:

Post a Comment