Saturday 19 January 2013

Patch birding, a Glauc and 3 LEOs

This morning I had a walk round at Collingham Pits; only the fourth visit I've actually managed so far this year. There were very few duck present, in contrast to earlier in the month, but I managed to add six new species to my Patchwork Challenge total - Snipe (5), Kingfisher, Canada Goose, Skylark, Bullfinch and Little Owl (2). There wasn't a huge amount else of note, although a Redshank circled round calling a couple of times, and a Roe Deer bounded along the edge of Northcroft Pond.

Little Owl at Collingham Pits
This afternoon, after failing to be able to buy a sledge anywhere in Newark, a walk down the Sustrans Route to Cotham Landfill produced the juvenile Glaucous Gull again; I wasn't actually expecting any gulls to be present, so didn't have my scope, and was pretty pleased to pick it out just with bins - although I did find a new place to view the landfill that allows closer approach. Nearby my target birds were found - 3 Long-eared Owls in their roost; Carl had 10 here yesterday!

Juv Glaucous Gull (too distant for my DSLR really...)

1 comment: