Sunday 6 January 2013

Fog stops play

The plan today was to do my Winter Thrush Survey for the BTO (in a square just south of Collingham) and then do some local birding; however, it was foggy when I got up, and it got worse when I was out, so I abandoned my thrush survey and instead had a nose around the 'new' part of my Patchwork Challenge area -  Besthorpe Warren SSSI and the area to the south (Primrose Hill).

A murky Besthorpe Warren SSSI
All in all it was a moderately successful morning, given the poor visibility. I added 7 species to my patch total for the year (bringing my total to 65) - nothing too unexpected, but best was Pink-footed Goose; three waves passed over between about 1010 and 1030, unseen above due to the fog. There has evidently been quite a movement of these birds heading towards Lancashire over the weekend judging from reports elsewhere (e.g. Yorkshire).

By 1130 the fog seemed to be getting worse, so I gave up and went home; of course it lifted this afternoon when I had other obligations... Looks like I'm going to have to take a morning's leave next week to get my thrush survey done!

No comments:

Post a Comment