Sunday 7 October 2012

Rose-coloured Starling..?

News broke yesterday that a juvenile Rose-coloured Starling had been seen with around 100 Starlings at Barnby-in-the-Willows, a small village a couple of miles east of Newark. Unfortunately I had to go to Coalville to play hockey (where we got well and truly thrashed), so it wasn't until late afternoon that I managed to get out there for a look, with my parents who are up for the weekend.

There were a few small parties of Starlings on TV aerials around the village, but no sign of a Rose-coloured, and gradually they all disappeared off to roost. We met a local who said there'd been 100 birders present earlier (possibly an overestimate?), and I know Mark Speck tried for it without any luck (when he was the only birder present).

I had another brief look this morning, but time was against me and it was quite misty. I only saw a handful of Starlings, and definitely nothing unusual amongst them. So Rose-coloured Starling remains the most embarrassing hole in my British List, but hopefully to plugged fairly soon with an impending trip to Scilly...

On a more positive note, I had my first Redwings of the autumn, heard over William Street at about 11.20pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment