Thursday 23 August 2012

Hunting Turtle Doves

Now, I'm not anti-shooting per se. However, it has recently come to light (e.g. on Twitter) that a company in this country is advertising a shooting holiday to Morocco. Their quarry? Turtle Doves. Given that this is one of our most threatened breeding species, I find the idea of people going abroad to shoot them completely abhorrent. These could be the handful of birds hanging on in the Trent Valley!

I went on their website earlier today - http://www.davis-bowring.co.uk/sporting/Moroccan-Shooting.html, but having clicked on it again tonight all that appears now is "Sorry, Page Not Found" - I can only assume that the page has been taken down. Nevetheless I will be emailing them to express my concerns. There is some stuff on Birdforum about it too.

Edit: to their credit, I got a response straight back from D&B saying they have 'no plans to promote this shooting further'.

No comments:

Post a Comment