Monday 7 May 2012

Taking it easy in Suffolk

No birding in Notts this weekend - instead we headed for Suffolk to stay with my parents just outside Ipswich. A brief visit to Shotley Marshes on saturday produced a yeartick in the form of 16 Whimbrel on the grazing marshes (definitely the most I've ever seen together on the Shotley Peninsular), plus a little group of 8 Wheatears. Later on, a Nightingale at Holbrook Creek was another yeartick, with another 3 Whimbrel and 500 Brents still on the Stour.

Today, I got up early and made it to Landguard for twenty to six. Three hours later, I'd counted at least 32 Wheatears along with a male Black Redstart, but there was no sign of the previous day's Tawny Pipit, or the Wryneck - although annoyingly the latter was trapped on the Icky Ridge just after I left - typical. By the time I left birders (and photographers) equalled Wheatears in number. I'm glad I got there early and had the site to myself at least for a bit!

Landguard Common

No comments:

Post a Comment