Tuesday 15 May 2012

Nesting in secret

Two Dunlin at Kilvington this morning were the only birds of note, although whilst driving onwards to work, 3 curlew sp. flew across the road in front of me just east of Orston; by the time I parked up and got my scope on them they were too far away, but my gut feeling was they were Whimbrel. As they flew north, they veered in the direction of Kilvo. I then wasted the next half hour driving back in that direction, scanning both the West and East pits without luck.

This evening, I had a trip out to a secret location to look for a nesting Long-eared Owl which I had been told about recently. Sure enough, there she was sat in an old crow's nest in the top of a hawthorn - I grabbed a few shots and then left her in peace.

Nesting Long-eared Owl at a secret location
I was lucky enough to find a LEO nest myself a few years ago, and then helped ring the three chicks, which was a fun experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment