Thursday 10 May 2012

Birders 1, fishermen 0

Having not been to Collingham for a few days, I paid a quick visit there tonight. From a birding perspective, it was pretty uneventful: of greatest  note were three Lapwing chicks (appearing to belong to two different females) on the Silt Lagoon. Water levels were even higher than last visit on the Main Pit (with the boundary ditch now dry).

By contrast, at Mons Pool, water levels had dropped by almost a meter, but the only excitement came when I had an amusing discussion with a fisherman. I’d spied him walking slowly along the shore on the far side, looking intently down and wearing bins, so I first thought he was either a stupid birder, or maybe an egg collector. However, he then started pulling things out of a packet and throwing them into the water – quite clearly bait balls. I waited for him to walk back in my direction, and then enquired if he realised fishing wasn’t allowed at this site. His reaction from the off was of someone caught in the act – he first acted surprised, pretending he didn’t know what bait balls were, then saying it was none of my business what he was up to, before demanding  to know who I was and if I had any ID. No mate, I haven’t got any ID, I’m out birdwatching, and I’m not the one acting suspiciously. I told him that we both knew he was chucking bait balls into the water, and the best he could do was to again mutter “...bait balls...?”. I decided not to push the matter any further, given that we were stood near my car and I didn’t want to find it with its windows broken/tyres slashed next time I was out. And despite the fact that he’ll be back at the site tomorrow fishing his baited areas, the moral victory was mine and the look on his face a picture. Idiot.

After that I bombed over to Cotham Flash, but this was equally uninspiring, and not really worth mentioning. So I wont.

On a more interesting matter, I have heard that DNA testing of the Ficedula flycatcher at Flamborough has so far confirmed that the bird is a male. I laughed when told this, but apparently this is good news cos it means that sufficient DNA has been obtained from the feathers to do the further test. Also, results are likely to be available this weekend, so not long to wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment