Tuesday 14 February 2012

N-iceland Gull

After meeting a contractor (on my day off!) at Flawborough, I checked Kilvington; the 2 redhead Smew were still on the East Lake, and a Green Sand was on the West Lake. I then drove back towards Newark via Cotham Flash, noting that there were loads of gulls on Pykett's Pond, so I spent a happy two hours scanning through them; there must've been getting on for almost a thousand large gulls (mainly Herring with good numbers of Great Black-backs as well), loafing on the ice and bathing in the pond.

Load of Gulls on Pykett's Pond!
I eventually managed to pick out a nice white Iceland Gull (aged as a 2nd W based on its pale iris) which I was pleased with. At least one 2nd W Yellow-legged Gull was also lurking amongst the Herrings, and I had a frustratingly brief glimpse of what looked like a 1st W Caspian Gull, which I promptly lost as the gulls took flight and wheeled round, and I couldn't relocate it when they all landed again. Also present were 2 drake Goosanders, and a Water Rail scuttled along the bank behind the gulls.

2nd W Iceland Gull at Pykett's Pond (AM)
As the gulls had been so co-operative this morning, I returned to the site after lunch for another hour and a half; the Iceland Gull was still present, but I couldn't find the possible Caspian. The 2 drake Goosander had vacated the site, but a redhead Goosander flew in from the south.

2nd W Iceland Gull at Pykett's Pond (PM)

No comments:

Post a Comment